Live wallpaper Image not scrolling with the screens

Discussion in 'Archive - LWC 2.1' started by Friendlyspeaking, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Friendlyspeaking Active Member

Message Count:
    Hello

I had made some Live wallpapers using Live Wallpaper Creator, few users had sent me complaints that on their mobiles only half image of the Live Wallpaper is shown on the screen. Today when I got Android update 4.1.2 on my mobile I came to know that it actually doesn't scroll with the screen pages and the background image looks static on the latest android version. Is LWP Creator not compatible with latest android versions? :oops:

Please solve the issue :eek:
  2. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Its the other way around. Android and phone manufacturers seem to be phasing out scrolling wallpapers. On my old htc incredible Android 2.3.4 they scroll fine ( however are still off centered), but on my new Samsung galaxy note 2 4.1 wallpapers do not scroll and the static center screen is off centered. It depends on what type of phone the users has.

The scrolling issue will exist from now on since samsung, others do not include the function on touchwiz etc, but the centering issue is suppose to be fixed with LWC 3.0.

I put in my description this little sentence:
    * It seems that some phone manufacturers have stopped supporting scrolling live wallpapers, Please note that if you own a phone that does not support scrolling wallpapers you will not see the full wallpaper! These phones include but are not limited to: Android phones running 4.1 (jellybean), some Samsung devices (galaxy s3, note, note2, others), HTC one series with Android 4.1.

LWC 3.0 should take this into account and the wallpaper should be able to be designed showing all the content on the one center screen.
  3. NewKid Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    I don't know about that Eraste.
    On my phone (ICS) my lwps don't scroll but other lwps downloaded from the market scroll normally.
  4. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Hmm thats weird. The ones I make with lwc 2.1 scroll fine on my older phone. Scrolling wallpapers is being done away with anyway through the major phone manufactures for some odd reason. So if you make them to cater to the phones that do scroll your gonna handicap 50% or more of your user base because more people are buying the newer phones not older phones. Anyway an easy test I use: I have the note 2 ( it does not support scrolling wallpapers via touchwiz). So to test mine I use nova launcher in addition to the stock touchwiz. I install the wallpaper. Then look at it with touchwiz ( my phones stock launcher) and see how it will look on peoples phones that do not support scrolling wallpapers. Then I hit the home button and switch to nova to see how it will look on peoples phones that do support the scrolling wallpapers.

For now it seems the only two "major" manufacturers to do away with scrolling wallpapers is Samsung and HTC. These guys make up a huge portion of the smartphone market. I agree it is hard to try and cram everything into that one center screen in the creator but like I said before I would rather have a wallpaper everyone could use regardless if their phone supported the scrolling feature or not than have one that only one use base could use.
    virajith likes this.
  5. Friendlyspeaking Active Member

Message Count:
    Hi Eraste

Thanks for the clarification, but I think the default alignment of wallpaper's background image should be on the left hand side instead of center for single screen mobiles. I hope in LWC 3.0 it should be taken into account.
  6. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Dude, this problem has been beat into ground in other posts. Go read them.
  7. virajith Active Member

Message Count:
    I don't even know....:O I work on old phone , is there such problem with 2.1 ...anyway 3.0 is nearing release na so better to wait

Btw I don't know what is default location up on setting wallpaper but...I think center position is the correct....because by this the user would know whether the wallpaper is stretched or not
  8. hubris In the know

Message Count:
    man i thought i broken everything very badly until i saw this thread.

The last thing i do is test on a phone. i use emulator first. just so happens i have the HTC EVO 3D. It does the off center stuff as well.

So does everyone just put out the app and just let people know in the description that it could be off center for certain phones?
  9. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    What I do is when cropping the image in the creator: Move the middle red cropping line to the right a little. Then test on phone to see if its centered. If not repeat moving crop until it looks centered on phone. In this photo were the middle left red line is, means the picture will be centered on my phone. Even though it is off centered to the right in this image it is correctly centered on the phone.

They are fixing this in 3.0 according to the devs.

Capture.PNG
    hubris likes this.
  10. hubris In the know

Message Count:
    gave this a shot i will put up my wallpaper on the market and see if people say anything in the reviews.

thnx
  11. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Welcome
  12. hubris In the know

Message Count:
    found a good way to test this. i setup a AVD (android virtual device in the AVD manager in eclipse) with an API of 7 from all the way back at android OS version 2.1 . It shows how the wallpapers will work correctly.
  13. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    I do that to. And keep moving the crop box until it looks right. Still a pain! Glad it will be fixed in v3.0

Note 2 ftw
  14. hubris In the know

Message Count:
    I get my upgrade at the end of the month so i will go from an HTC EVO 3D to the Note 2. I will keep it as a good phone to develop with tho.

BTW a friend of mine got a ROM that is from a tablet to work on it. He absolutely loves it now. Its way faster and isn't limited to act like a phone OS.
    The Rom is for the Galaxy 10.1 Tablet

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2261818
  15. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Thats pretty cool. Yea ive had the note 2 a while you will love it. I use cleanrom by scott. Ill check out that one

Note 2 ftw
  16. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    I checked it out. Cant use it I have ATT :(

I use this one. It will work for any carrier on the note 2
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986893