Our Livewallpapers!

Discussion in 'User Content' started by John, Mar 31, 2012.

1. John New Guy

Message Count:
    NewKid likes this.
  2. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    That's is AWESOME :) well done!
  3. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Those are fantastic! Way to go. The alien attack is so cool.
  4. NewKid Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    First of all I want to congratulate you, Those lwp look awesome!! :D
    I really enjoyed the two of them but the Alien Attack was my favorite!

Now, I have a little question,
    Could you please tell me how did you took the base from the lwp creator and imported it into eclipse?
    Because I've been trying to do so to add more changes by myself but I haven't been able to do so.

Thanks in advance and then again, congratulations for those awesome lwp!! :D
  5. John New Guy

Message Count:
    Thanks guys! We have been having alot of fun with it! It is such a great program!
  6. John New Guy

Message Count:
    Btw these took lots of time to do our extra changes so that is why we decided to add in the ads to the free one.
  7. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I do know of a way but you have to know how to read the language and know how to use eclipse and java. I’ve thought about it to optimized the loading and to optimize file sizes of the reduce images due to the 2.5 version delay. I not sure the LWC team wants that info released or not but It’ll be up to them but if so I would like to see the parts where you enabled the ad and where was it enabled.

But I would like to see the average cost per impression and install rate due to that is important for ads as well as an estimate install length for more data.
  8. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    We would prefer for the details to not be revealed publicly. We will make implementations for ads in most likely the next version (after 2.5). You are of course free to modify your wallpapers as John and his team has done.

Jerry and anyone else who is interested, we have been doing research on ad implementation and revenue. So if you are curious about stats or procedures, I would be happy to reveal our discoveries :)
  9. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I figured as much due to various reasons but I would like some data on the stats or procedures on the ads to more recent date the better. That and I can properly budget the amount of time I can put on the ad based wallpapers.
  10. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    We've been testing 2 ad networks: LeadBolt and Airpush. So far LeadBolt appears to bring better returns. Implementation is fairly simple.

Reception is obviously less than ideal. People don't like ads. Especially the ones that request access to their location (this however is optional, but brings better revenue results). However, a good number is just fine with ads.

There are several types of ads (called ad units). Most applicable ones for live wallpapers are notifications and ad icons. Notifications are simply push notifications that appear in the notification tray. You can control how often they are delivered, when they start and which users to send them to (active vs inactive). Ad icons are just shortcuts on the desktop to some applications, usually dubbed as "Best Offers" or "Top Offers". Rates vary, but you generally get paid on a per thousand impressions basis (CPM). With notifications, a single notification is a single impression. If the user clicks on it, your CPM rate goes up. With ad icons, I believe the user has to actually download one of the apps from the "Top Offers" for you to get paid for it. All this info is available in the ad agencies' FAQ sections.

We ran a few tests where we plugged in ads into existing wallpapers vs brand new wallpapers powered by ads from the start. Existing apps suffered a bit, because obviously what used to be completely free has now become a little annoying. Some people uninstalled. Some left bad reviews. A lot persevered/did not care. Majority simply didn't upgrade for one reason or another. Having ads requires justification if you want a good developer image on the market. We recommend continuous app maintenance to keep users happy. Some people are happy to just pay a fee for the app in order to avoid the ads. This allows for another stream of revenue. From 15k users we manage to get around 1k clicks each day. That makes for about 6.66% conversion rate, and gives us the lower end of the CPM rate (~$3.25). Perhaps a more focused approach on producing clicks would increase these numbers, but all in all it's still pretty good.

Brand new applications receive much less flak for having ads in it, since it's not actually "free" to begin with. This results in fewer bad reviews. This, however, also keeps away a lot of users that you would get had the app been free. So building a big user base takes a lot more time with this approach. Nonetheless, we managed to get a few of such apps to ~10k users in about a month time (granted only about 2k of those users actually receive notifications). The stats from the developer console and the ad console have a lot of discrepancies. I imagine people opt-out or manage to block advertising using third-party apps.

Payments happen once a month. Each ad agency has different terms. Our payday has not yet occurred, so we cannot give any details on the process.

Leadbolt manually approves each application submission. So it may take time as it is not automated. Once the application is approved, it will start registering revenue.

The ad agencies are in general very friendly, accessible and helpful.

That's all I can think of for now. If there's something else you'd like to know, feel free to ask :)
  11. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    John, when you implemented ads into your lwc, did you do it in eclipse, or did you modify the program so you could do it without eclipse. Like a drag and drop jdk folder inside lwc?
  12. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    He used eclipse based off of this quote
    "We made the base in the program and then imported into eclipse for final touches and our own add ons!"

All of the ads have to be manually coded into the program thus you need to know some Java before adding it.
  13. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Thank you for pointing that out Jerry-Me. In that case, John, could you make a step by step video tutorial on how to do that? I am prepared to pay you for your time in doing it. Lets talk in private, I don't know your email address so I'll give your mine: stollo770@gmail.com. Shoot me an email so we can discuss this if you'd like.
  14. John New Guy

Message Count:
    hey guys! I am glad everyone likes what we did but out of respect to the creators of LWC I can not make a how to video. This is their program and we used eclipse to spice it up a bit! It took awhile to get everything working with the ads built in so it wouldn't be a simple how to anyways and it also depends on the advertising company you use.
  15. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    While I understand your respect for the creators of lwc I dont think that a how to video would insult/disrespect them. I understand that the program is theirs and they are working to run a business but your modifications do not interfere with that, if anything they could be a benefit to the creators of lwc. You still need the lwc program to do your mods and if anything your mods just show how flexible and wonderful the lwc program is, while showing the even greater benefit of monetization (a feature many of us lust for). Further more your mods could be the intermediary solution for ads for lwc until Vas and his crew release an update containing ad integration. I'm also not asking you to do this for free, as I understand that your time is valuable, which is why (as previously stated) I am prepared to compensate your for your time in making a how to video. I'm not asking for anything crazy, just a video explaining what you did, how you did it, and what ad company you used. Making such a video shouldn't take very long and could be a way for you to make some quick extra cash. I do not want to come across as an asshole, because I'm not, so if you want to do business with me or not, the choice is yours, but would it make it easier for you to say yes if Vas and his crew said it was okay?

So I ask:

Vas, is it okay for John to make a how to video showing how he used eclipse to integrate ads into his lwp's?

Think about it Vas, it could show a whole new side of flexibility and customization for your program, and show that it can support ads/monetization before you guys get your update out. You could even use this video as a sales tool showing that: Yes, with work, you can monetize your lwp's and oh by the way, we are soon to release an update to make it 100x easier. Think of how your programs market value could increase just by plastering this video on your website. Additionally, maybe this video could give you and your crew ideas on how to integrate ads into the lwc itself, this has the potential to be a huge pow-wow of ideas that could benefit litterally everyone in the lwc community, and entice more people to join it. And guess what, through all of these benifits, moneitization through John's meathod will make everyone money as well. This is a super win for everyone, and to reiterate, I would compensate John for it, thus making it a mega win for him.
  16. John New Guy

Message Count:
    He has already stated he doesn't want it public. That is why I said out of respect for him. Even with a how to you need to know java coding and how to read it.
    Vas likes this.
  17. Shyner Keeps coming back

Message Count:
    Some of the projects I've been trying to work on in my limited spare time:

[IMG]

[IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
  18. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Sweet. I like the dragon one.
    Shyner likes this.