StartApp

Discussion in 'Advertising Discussion' started by Vas, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    I recently found a new way of monetizing apps. Very good alternative to push notifications.

The company is called StartApp. You can check out their site http://www.startapp.com.

They pay on a download basis. So as soon as your app is downloaded and installed, you make money. It's 5 cents per US install, 1 cent per non-US install, and 1 cent per returning user (meaning the user has more than one of your apps installed).

The catch is that once the app is installed, the user will get an icon on their desktop that leads to a search engine, a few new bookmarks and a browser search home page.

Earnings are very comparable to push ads, but with fewer bad user reviews. Check out this tutorial for more info: http://www.livewallpapercreator.com...s/2-1-monetization-via-startapp.126/#post-741

You can also help us out and sign up through our referral link, if interested:
    http://startapp.com/rfpymfq

EarningsReport.png
  2. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    I don't know Vas. Users, myself included, hate when shit gets put on their home screen and hate even more when their browser settings are changed. I'm going to stay away from this one.
  3. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    i wish i had that above shown image stats
  4. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    Hello great community,

My name is Kfir and I am an account manager at StartApp.
    Vas- Thank you for your warm words it's always nice to hear that the developers that work with us are satisfied. I think you explained very clearly how our business model works and how easy it is to generate an amazing revenue each month.
    Just to give you a peek of the number of apps working with us and enjoying a high and steady income- over 7,500 apps work with us and they were downloaded almost 300 million times.
    Stollo 770- We are 100% compliant with Google's policy and we try to be as transparent as possible to end users. We explain the end users exactly what they are going to receive when they download the app and the reason why the developer uses this method to monetize his app.
    Attached is an EULA the end users need to agree to (or skip) before they download the app.
    TheShadow- Join StartApp even for a testing period and I am sure we can help you generate a better revenue or help you promote your app better.

Feel free to ask any question.

Kfir

StartApp-EULA.jpg
  5. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    @Kfir Glad to see a startapp team here.i have already joined startapp and 7-10 apps have been monetized .all i need to know is a way to promote it. ;)
    kfir likes this.
  6. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Welcome to the LWC forums, Kfir! Like TheShadow said, it's great to see a StartApp company representative here :)
  7. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    I want to further compare this type of monetization to push ads.

Thus far, on most apps, I've made more money with StartApp than Airpush in the past 7 days. Not by a lot. However, StartApp makes that much from just new installs, whereas push earnings span through the entire userbase that has the SDK installed (including new installs). Puts it in perspective a little?

Consider how much exposure the end-user has to either of the advertisers:
    StartApp - EULA, when using the browser, checking bookmarks, and of course the desktop icon.
    AirPush - EULA, as frequent as you set it to in your control panel (in this comparison mine is set to twice a day).

Now consider the difficulty of removing the advertising from a phone without getting rid of the app:
    StartApp - either opt-out from the start, or you can manually restore your desktop, browser homepage and browser bookmarks.
    AirPush - opt-out (but still receive ads o_O), opt-out on their site.

Push ads probably contribute a big part to killing the interest of your user for your app. Just read your reviews.
    The amount of users that make you money with StartApp is significantly smaller than the ones that make you money with AirPush. Moreover, you manage to reach all your active users in a very annoying way on a daily basis, sometimes more than once.

I guess the only outcome is a higher uninstall rate (which the users don't see anyway; all they can see on Play are rounded ranges of totals)...

...and bad reviews, but who knows how much of an effect those have :rolleyes:

So there. Some food for thought.
  8. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    Hey guys,

Thank you for your warm welcome.

TheShadow- StartApp offers solutions both to developers who want to generate money from their apps (as mentioned above) and also to developers that want to promote and distribute their apps in order to increase app downloads. We offer a few ways from which you can choose to promote your app, such as advertising in StartApps APPWall or using Banners Ads.

Vas- StartApp's solution is much less obtrusive and by far less annoying, don't you think so?
    I have read many end users reviews regarding StartApp and yet haven't seen reviews as bad as those AirPush receives, not even close.
    We keep the app clean and offer the end user easy ways to remove everything we added to his phone. As a part of keeping the end users and our developers satisfied we added "StartApp opt out" app to the Google Play which explains very accurately how to remove StartApp ads.
    We always try to improve things, so if you have any suggestions feel free to send either in this forum or directly to my email - kfir@startapp.com.

Thanks again,

kfir
    Vas likes this.
  9. tubestore Keeps coming back

Message Count:
    been using startapp for 2 months now and i can say that it is way better than airpush. reviews are great too. unlike the push notification ads.
    I also combine airpush and startapp and earnings are amazing. although reviews are most of them negative because of push ads from airpush.
    Anyway, i'm happy with startapp.
    kfir likes this.
  10. Aivix231 New Guy

Message Count:
    So i have problem

I followed VAS tutorial in other thread, and everything was fine.

So im done with everything , what i do next ? just save and build path in eclipse ?
    Or save all and build app on LWP

Or something else, how i can be sure that it will work on android ?

Anyway im stuck at that part , when im done adding code in eclipse, what i do next ?
  11. Vas Origin

Message Count:
  12. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    This guy....
  13. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Here is my major concern with StartApp, kfir please correct me if I am wrong. Apps with start app in them launch every time the app is launched, I have seen this in other apps that I have installed with start app in them and I am reading it in your description of start app. The reason why I am hesitant to use start app is because I don't think that start-app would work well with live wallpapers because live wallpapers are not apps by traditional means. Live wallpapers are personalization applications that run in the background of android devices indefinitely, until they are modified through the settings menu, they crash for whatever reason, or until the phone is restarted. Then, when the live wallpaper is restored/restarts, start-app will launch and prompt users with another pop-up eula.

My concern is, one the lwp is set, and users want to experience it without any interruption, as soon as they restart their phone, go into the settings, or the lwp crashes and restarts, they will be prompted with a eula when they don't want too. It will appear as spam to them, or worse, a malicious attempt at their phone when (in their minds) there is no need for an eula pop-up. That would not only piss users (and myself) off to no end, it would drive uninstall rates through the roof. Let me know if this concern is correct or not.

What I like about lead bolt/other push notifications is that if the lwp restarts for any reason, all the users get is a notification that they can easily clear away at their convenience, not a massive eula pop-up.

As for you tubestore, I would be very worried about your negative reviews. They will impact your lwp and drive down its ranking and install rate. If everyone rates your app as shit, then people who come to install it will see those ratings and go elsewhere (I would). Also the lower your ratings are, the lower your lwp sinks in Google's ratings and search results. The market regulates itself in that good software moves up, and bad software moves down. This is determined by the users who rate your app. Don't become bad software because you spammed all your users away. I bet if I looked at you statistics I would see a big downward spiral on your install rates and a massive increase of uninstall rates. You cannot spam your way to wealth, on good software can take you there. Your "amazing" revenue will dry up very fast if you keep on your current path.
  14. tubestore Keeps coming back

Message Count:
    Stollo. I understand your point, this is the beauty of lwp creator. we can create paid and free lwp. if the user don't want the free with ads then they must purchase the paid version. As for the user experience. I don't really care about them. I am making apps for the money. :D
  15. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    Hey there,

Stollo- If I understood you correctly you have nothing to be concerned about, and I'll explain. Startapp's monetization model takes into consideration what will be the end users review on the apps the developers that work with us create. As I understand it, developers seek to create an app that will be downloaded as much as possible some from economic reasons and some for other reasons.
    In order to achieve this gold we believe that the developer needs to be very transparent towards his users or else they will write negative reviews which will eventually affect the number of downloads, exactly like you mentioned.
    Regarding your concern, the EULA will appear only when the app is installed and not every time the user restarts his phone. Startapp's entire model is based on interrupting the user as less as possible in order to keep the user experience positive. The last thing we want to do is to piss users. StartApp works with thousands of apps which many of them are lwp and I can ensure you that we and the apps that work with us have very positive reviews.
    If you want any examples visit us at our website www.startapp.com or contact me in a PM.
    If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thank you and have a nice weekend,

kfir
  16. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    @kfir Just a small information but very serious indeed.few of my apps got negative reviews from users and those apps use startapp for monitization.the review is user claim that virus has been detected in app scanned with AVG and Dr Web.I use avast and i never got any threat on my mobile however i tried using Avg to which what user claim become true.and download count for all my apps using startapp reduced drastically.
  17. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    TheShadow- Thank you for sharing this information with us. Of course StartApp knows about it and handles it very seriously.
    We are 100% safe. Our search partners are industry leaders and we hold the highest standards of privacy. We are certified by both Norton Verisign and TRUSTe.
    I am sure that AVG and Dr Web will remove their threat soon.
  18. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    @kfir I think Avg has removed their threat.
  19. Steel Ape Studios In the know

Message Count:
    @Vas - Would love to know if these numbers are still holding true for you or not? Signed up and started implementing these ads yesterday, will see how I fair. (currently getting around 700-1000 downloads per day on my main free wallpaper).

Edit: *ugh* I've received my first three 1 star reviews in less than 24 hours of implementing these ads. I have almost 100k downloads on this wallpaper already... Has anyone noticed a significant decrease in app download/usage after implementing this?

20. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    @Steel Ape Studios The reason why you got 1 star is certain virus scanner like avg,dr web still scan apps with startapp ads as a threat.couple of days ago i got a review in one of my aps "Intrusive ads found by avg" .start app did fixed once but still it started to show once again.hope they will fix it ASAP