why is the LWP chugging/lagging?

Discussion in 'Archive - LWC 2.1' started by RyanXVII, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    I've built a pretty neat space LWP using the free version, i'm using 7 items and an average of 10 generated going across the screen to the right. but when i install and use ti on my samsung galaxy s, it seems like it's lagging and stuttering for about 5 minutes until it smooths out, and then i still notice some stuttering of the items every once in awhile. what am i doing wrong?
    also does this app eat battery life fast?
  2. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Ryan, do you mind uploading your LWP so we can have a look at this behaviour? I think you should be able to upload it using the forum. Otherwise, you can always send it to livewallpapercreator@gmail.com.

The LWPs made with LWC are generally pretty efficient and don't consume much battery power.
  3. Fando Administrator

Message Count:
    Hey Ryan,

Do you experience this sort of lag in all live wallpapers you build using the LWC? Live wallpaper apps produced by the live wallpaper creator are simple enough and do not require much CPU power to run. Check the file sizes of your item images. If the file sizes are unreasonably large, even 7 items could produce lag. The two factors that affect image file size are resolution and quality, if you want to include large resolution items, go ahead, but make sure that the file sizes are reasonable. Generally I would not recommend attaching many items that are more than 100-150KB in size. However large files are acceptable and are in fact necessary sometimes. As the designer you need to use your best judgement to see what works and what doesn't.

Do you have any power monitoring apps running? These apps work by throttling down your CPU cycles during less demanding periods of use in order to preserve battery life which is why some apps, including live wallpapers, might be experiencing slight lag. If you do have such an app running, try turning off or tweaking its settings and see if that has an effect on live wallpaper performance.

Another reason could be that your phone has a lot of apps running simultaneously making it difficult for the CPU to handle all of them correctly. If that's the case, try exiting some apps and see if that has any effect.

Yet another reason, although unlikely, could be that Android, by design, sometimes gives less processing priority to some apps for some internal reason. Think of it as Android's internal battery monitor. Not sure if there are solution for this. You can try installing a power monitoring app that has a feature to boost CPU performance/priority.
  4. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    when i turn my phone to "airplane" mode the lag seems to go away so it might be an app or something there, stupid SGS phone always starts tasks automatically and eats up so much ram at time -_-
  5. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    Yeah stock Galaxy S has terrible software, it lags all the time. I suggest you try an aftermarket rom, they are refined, run very smoothly, and preserve your battery life :) I can be of some assistance if you need help rooting your phone and installing custom OS. Cheers
  6. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    that would be awesome, i've read about custom roms actually. my phone is rooted btw. would prob be easy :) could def use your help.

btw for testing purposes, i decided to upload my space .apk file, see if it chugs/lags on your phones aswell if you guys don't mind giving it a go, my 7 items are fairly large in resolution, but i can't make them smaller or it'll ruin the look of the LWP sadly :\
    here's to hoping it runs smoother on your guys devices! XD
    also let me know what you think! i'm still using free version so it'll have the watermark, will think about purchasing fairly soon :)

Attached Files:

7. Fando Administrator

Message Count:
    Runs great on my Galaxy Nexus. Looks great too. Man I'm so glad that artists like you are enjoying our software. You're going to love version 2.5 :D
  8. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    Runs well on my beat up X10 :) you def have to tweak your SGS
  9. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    thats good to hear though :) im glad most other devices seem to run it fine. after about 5 mins, it seems to run smooth on my sgs captivate, i just think my active apps keep restarting and eating up my phone's ram causing huge slowdowns. i'm looking to flash to a new rom soon though.