Question about Copyrights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RyanXVII, Jan 7, 2012.

1. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    Hey guys,

So inevitably with LWC you're eventually going to have people who use copyrighted materials or owned artwork(s) to create their LWP's. For me, i'd prefer to use all my original artwork and creations to create my LWP's but you'll always have those people who won't and will just rip nice art from google or other sources, can you give a brief explanation on what is acceptable within LWC and the droid marketplace in terms of copyrighted materials, and if using copyrighted materials...what has to be done to rectify the situation?

2. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    The Android Content Guidelines state the following:

So if someone is going to use copyrighted material without permission, that person is pretty much at the mercy of the owner of the copyrighted content. From what we suspect, Google doesn't take action until a DMCA request is filed by the owner. Of course no owner would like it if someone else was selling a live wallpaper with their content without permission. They might be a lot more lenient if the live wallpaper is free. No matter how you paint it though, as soon as you use stuff that's not yours, you are at the discretion and mercy of the actual owner.

We do not recommend selling wallpapers with copyrighted material. Take from this what you will though.
  3. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    thank you for the clarification!

I was wondering this because i'm looking to create a LWP dedicated to the EVGA staff/community, and i wanted to know if using their design logo, even though i've created it myself is still breaking any infringements, but i've already made a similar thread on the evga forums asking for permissions just incase.
    [IMG]
  4. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    Using registered trademarks, logos, brand names, slogans is also prohibited without owners consent. Just because you drew the picture yourself, despite it looking awesome, is still infringing on the copyright because you are using their name :) Even if you design a completely different way the letters are displayed, as long as its EVGA, its infringing. However, if the content is free, and you clearly state that EVGA is a registered trademark and belongs to so and so, you should be ok. Asking for the permissions is easy and is definitely the way to go!
  5. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    yea i made a similar thread on evga forums, look like a no go, but i still could release it "free" anyways, think i'll do that. the backround and final image is this:
    [IMG]

i also just made this last night for a new LWP im making, also stress testing purposes.
    [IMG]
    this one i could sell since i made the whole thing from ground up and it doesn't infringe upon anything.
    Vas likes this.
  6. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Pretty sweet! What'd you use to make them?
  7. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    Awesome pic dude
  8. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    hey thanks guys!
    i made the planet in autodesk maya, simple 3d sphere export, took it into Zbrush and sculpted a very high poly detailed moonish planet, then baked the high poly mesh onto the low poly mesh in the form of a normal map, then took it back into maya, applied the normal map and cavity map, rendered out a black and white image with some rim lighting on the planet, then took it into photoshop and did the rest in photoshop to final product. thanks for the interest :)

as for the EVGA logo, simply modeled out the lettering like the picture above i think, then rendered it out as black and white, and did the rest in photoshop.

I like still images because photoshop can do a lot for you, 3d animation becomes a whole new story though :X
  9. Fando Administrator

Message Count:
    Wow looks great!
  10. Maximus Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Hey guys,

I'm new here! Honestly, just posting to say Ryan's space LWP looks AWESOME. Would you mind letting us know when you finish it? It looks like something that would make my X10 look outta this world :D
  11. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    hey thanks dude! :)

I'm awaiting google's deposit in my bank account so i can be verified for payout before i upload my apk's to the market, the LWP is done and looks pretty awesome on my phone. just waiting for approval now.
  12. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Welcome, Maximus :)