Pingjam ad network

Discussion in 'Advertising Discussion' started by James Rebello, May 31, 2013.

1. James Rebello Active Member

Message Count:
    I received a mail from this network. Has anyone tried it?
    Checked their FAQs and their ads come up on the calling screen ie. when a person is either receiving or calling. The ads depend upon the number that is being called or calling and you get paid for the number of active installs every month. They pay $5 per month for every 1000 installs for US and $1 for non-US
    Advantage:
    1. Seems a new network that will most probably not be detected by antivirus apps(can't say for sure)
    Disadvantage:
    1. 2-3 extra permissions
    2. If multiple apps with SDK installed on the user's phone then revenue goes to the first app that was installed.
    3. Revenue far too low compared to other networks
  2. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    I tested them out briefly. The revenue was very little compared to other networks. Pretty innovative ad unit though!
  3. Elnor New Guy

Message Count:
    Hi Vas and James,

How are you doing Vas? It's an amazing job you've done with this platform:)

James, I'm CEO of Pingjam and I just ran into this post.
    Vas is right, for certain types of apps, we don't generate a lot of income. Specifically with wallpapers there's a challenge of actually having the users see the opt-in screen that we have. A lot of users don't "open" the wallpaper and therefore can't opt-in.
    If you have an app that users actually open then they can see the opt-in, the majority will join the service and you'll see your income increase every month.
    Please feel free to ask any questions you may have or just try us out:)
  4. James Rebello Active Member

Message Count:
    I would have used it, however the fact that revenue goes to the first app that was installed and permissions required makes it less desirable. The cons just outweigh the pros
  5. Elnor New Guy

Message Count:
    Fair enough.
    Two points to consider:
    - The first app installed gets paid only as long as it's still on the device. Once it's removed - the 2nd app starts getting paid. Another thing to keep in mind is that, although more and more developers are choosing to work with us, we are far from saturating the market. The chances of you coinciding with other apps on a device is less than 1% today.
    - The permissions don't hurt your install or uninstall rates. We've ran extensive tests on millions of installs and have proven that the install and uninstall rates that the app had before starting to work with us remains the same after we are integrated. If you'd like - I can send you links to apps that are working with us so you can see their install trendline.

Whether you choose to try us out or not - I wish you much revenue for the apps you've created;)
  6. Maximus Seasoned Vet

Message Count:

Hi James, I've got a quick question for you concerning this point.

What exactly is necessary in an app to trigger the opt-in screen? If my wallpaper installs an icon that leads to a splash screen with 3-5 buttons (Apply Wallpaper, Rate, Share, Settings), would that be considered "opening" the app?
  7. James Rebello Active Member

Message Count:
    Yes the ad network's sdk should have the opt in code. The screen that opens up when you click on the icon is called an activity in android(yes that opens the app). So depending on where you place the sdk code the opt in screen will appear. To start the optin screen u can place it either in the activity java code or in the SBLiveWallpaper.java file(best is to place it in SBLiveWallpaper as this is accessed more often).
    Maximus likes this.
  8. Maximus Seasoned Vet

Message Count:

Awesome, that means Pingjam is more viable with this method? I'm just kind of curious since this reminds me of when Startapp began and had phenomenal rates because they paid high for brand new installs. When you said revenue is low, do you think this way of displaying the opt-in would make a difference? Startapp requires a crazy amount of permissions, but before it became widespread they paid quite well.

Thanks for answering me! Also I totally realized I quoted the wrong post! :confused:
  9. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    Hey Maximus,

As the number of devices in which Startapp's SDK is installed has increased we started paying for returning users as well, as you probably know.
    Recently Startapp also launched an exit ad format which can be integrated together or a part from the search SDK and offers amazing Ecpms which gave a big boost to developers revenues.

You should give it a try http://www.startapp.com/?LinkID=496

Thank you for your feedback regarding the number of permissions required, we are now working on reducing them and i'll let you all know when we have results.
  10. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    @kfir i have one question.still startapp has been marked as adware/virus by some of antivirus companies.may i know what steps have startapp taken because this is serious though how good our apps are and since people use free apps compared to ad-free/paid apps small time developers like us use monetization networks like startapp and other ads agency sdk for the effort we give to make good apps it breaks trust of both developers and users when they find that particular app which use ads sdk marked as virus and from developer point of view there is a maximum chance that users once downloaded a particular app infected with virus/ marked as adware will never use any app created by developer.i contacted startapp team and reported this issue repeatedly at first i got few replies but now none turns to reply.
    glad i found you are active in this forum so i kindly request you to take measures regarding this problem .
    NewKid likes this.
  11. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    Hello the shadow,

Thank you for letting us know about this feedback from your users about messages from their anti-virus software.

We encountered several AV apps that have mis-flagged our SDK as Adware.

After working with with most of these companies, we now have only Dr. Web, AVG and Norton and a few others that are still flagging us as ad ware.

Our latest SDK offers an opt-in EULA for the end user, giving them the choice to add our search app. This user-friendly approach is a step forward to keeping your users aware and creating a long term business that will keep us and you, the developer, earning for the long run. We take the privacy of you and your users very seriously.

Some developers have also posted a message in their description letting users know that it may be flagged as a virus, but that it is not a virus

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more concerns, please let me know.

Regards,

Kfir
  12. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    Hi,Sorry for the delayed response.you are welcome and i remember that i got same messgae/explanation from one of the startapp staff a long time back.i too have written note in description of my apps how ever users who downloads keep commenting repeatedly about virus threat and i believe some users doesn't turnback for second time to download app.hope you will fix this asap.
  13. kfir StartApp representative

Message Count:
    Hello the Shadow,

I just wanted to share with you how Google chose to present its "Disclosure of Ads to Users". If you will search the link attached you will notice that Google specifically uses Startapp's EULA as an example of how to be transparent towards the end user.
    https://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/policies/ads.html
    Of course this doesn't change all anti viruses diagnostics but it does show that Google finds Startapp solution as very user friendly.

I will continue updating you,

Kfir
  14. TheShadow Active Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the information.