My live wallpapers are off center and are not scrolling with the screen.

Discussion in 'Archive - LWC 2.1' started by stollo770, Sep 2, 2012.

1. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    As stated in the title, my live wallpapers are off center and are not scrolling with the screen. This is a fairly recent problem. I didn't modify anything in LWC at all, nor did I touch any of the SDK or JDK files. LWC just decided to stop centering the image and made the lwps un-scrollable on the screen. Any help at all would be awesome.
  2. Shyner Keeps coming back

Message Count:
    Did you recently upgrade to Android 2.3.5 by chance? If so, that may be the issue. Seems like they might need a third crop option for phones that don't have the scrolling background?
    Vas likes this.
  3. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Hey, what version of Android are you running the wallpapers on? We will investigate.
  4. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    I was running 2.1 froyo, then I updated my software to 2.3. However the problem doesn't just exist with me, I've been getting steadily mounting complaints on the android market from people experiencing the same thing with my lwp's. The image in the lwp is very off centered and does not scroll. I would investigate the use on 2.1 and 2.3. I hope this is fixable and the result of new software eclipsing the old api levels. LWC 2.0 was designed to operate on api level 2.1, and if the new levels have surpassed it, then I am well and truly f***ed for a solution.
  5. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    We'll check it out. It's probably an issue with the 2.3 Android version.
  6. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    I am running 4.2 now on a new phone (GS3) and the centering issue still exists.
  7. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    I think the problem exists with non-scrolling touch screens. Please find away around this in 3.0. Right now I have to specify through Google pay which devices get the centered non-scrolling lwp, and which phones get the offset lwp for non-scrolling phones (so its centered on them). Its quite annoying.
  8. Maximus Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Hey Stollo, what kind of resolution are you setting for your pics? I'm pretty sure there's a ratio that fits most phones properly, I haven't encountered the issue you speak of and I stick to about 88% (Meaning the height is 88% of the width). So resolutions like 1080 x 960 and 1160 x 1020 work with no issue.
  9. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Ive been at 1920x1080. I'll see if scaling down works.
  10. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Nah, the centering problem still exists. It looks fine when it is set as the main wallpaper, but in the preview its off centered a lot. I had the same problem with the wallpapers at 1920x1080. Which means that the live wallpapers will be off centered on other devices. I know this because my old phone always displayed the live wallpapers off center, so I had to create alternate ones to correct this. The alternate ones look centered in my current phone's lwp preview, but they are off centered when I set them. This works inversely too, lwps that are off centered in the preview are centered on my current phones home screen. I have deduced that the problem exists because lwc doesn't know how to crop images separately for scrolling and non-scrolling home screens. It is very confusing to deal with so I just make alternate lwps to correct the centering and then specify through Google play which devices get which, which is annoying.
  11. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Hey stollo, do you think you could post some screenshots of the issue?
  12. jane New Guy

Message Count:
    Mine have done the same thing since the beginning. I have an HTC Evo 3D and I always try it on my phone first to make sure it's centered. It usually takes me 6 or 7 builds just to get it right. I found that if I put the very middle of my background centered in the dividing line of the first and second panel (going left to right) of the guide, that is pretty close and then I still have to adjust. So my main graphics are all the way to the left to get them in the center when on the phone. But yes, it is a pain. I am also having problems with my graphics looking good on my tablet and others are cancelling their payments on google play as well. No matter what resolution I use, it can look awesome on my phone and pixelated on the tablet. I've even tried up to 1200 dpi thinking this would keep it from looking "stretched" out but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm losing sales.

Attached Files:

13. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    LWC is currently not optimized for tablet support. No matter how you place it or how big your image/dpi is, the resulting image will be scaled down to phone resolution, which will then be stretched out on the tablet. Of course, the stretching will cause pixelation. The only way to fix that right now is to modify the code by hand.

Could someone post a screenshot of a wallpaper that looks misplaced on a phone?
  14. jane New Guy

Message Count:
    here are a couple screenshots of my preview and then on the phone.

Attached Files:

15. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Thanks, Jane!
    Just to be sure, is the crop frame positioned exactly the same on High Resolution as Mid in the preview?
  16. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Hey, sorry for the late reply. I've been away from the computer for a bit. My issue is exactly what June is experiencing. Glad to see that someone else has this problem.

June, you can get around this problem right now by creating an alternate live wallpaper that is centered for other devices. Then in the settings menu of you original lwp, have a button that says something like: "not centering? click here to fix it" and then have that button take them to your alternate listing where they can download the fix as an update over the current one. Its a little extra work but it solves the problem for now until Vas and dream team can get around to fixing it.

Hope that helps you out.