Magi Live Wallpapers

Discussion in 'User Content' started by Jerry-me, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I’ll get I’ll be the first one to post in this topic but I’ll showcase the few wallpapers I’ve added so far and hopefully others will post their works soon. Until then I’ll start by posting what I’ve uploaded recently.
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    A few more of the wallpapers are here.
    https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Magi Entertainment
    I’ll most likely update a few of them when 2.5 comes out but I have 3~4 concepts waiting for the 2.5 update.
  2. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    That's a really cool effect you came up with in your Megami Saga LWP. Way to go!
  3. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    It took me a while to get a decent effect and I’ll like to add a thunder effect with the next version if the jpg to gif color quality doesn’t drop too badly.
  4. Fando Administrator

Message Count:
    sweet! Keep em coming dude.
  5. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I decided to make one more live wallpaper before 2.5 giving the 2.0 version a swan song before the update. I’m going to try to make it different similar to the Megami Saga wallpaper so while I was working on Magic Arts I had an idea and currently doing some experiments to see if it works or runs properly but I’ll post an update once the experiments work. I will say it involves Mizuki and I should have something to show by the end of the week.
    Vas likes this.
  6. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I started to play around with the wallpaper item sizes. The first test took a huge image and see if it would load and I it ran with one full size image. The second test is which I took several images around 650 X 650 to see if it would run. The result is that it would crash via emulator when I set it as wallpaper and would only run once I restarted the emulator. I decided to make a third test by cutting the number of images by half, reducing the quality of the .jpg image and shrinking the images to 500 X 500. The result of the second test is that it didn’t have any problems running the wallpaper besides that the emulator would only load the picture once and only once if I restated the emulator. I think it’s just an emulator problem but I rather not risk it because it’s not the first time the emulator would act up and force close when it tries to run a big wallpaper file.
    I decided to try again by reducing the size to 400px and keeping the same item count to see if it would improve and it ran without any problems so I’ll post a link of what current test looks like below. I’m going to add the final background rather than the rip from the game and tweak the items a bit. I’m going to test a few more things after that and see what will happen but I might or might not post it.
    Vas likes this.
  7. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    I really like that concept! Way to go!
  8. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I have uploaded the new version of Lunar Fashion Live Wallpaper 2 tonight I’ll post again when it’s on the market. This is the first version where I have a dual free and premium release and I hope I yield good results considering that the Mizuki wallpaper has more downloads and installs but for now I’ll just post the video until it’s on the market.
  9. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    The Free and Premium Live Wallpaper is up now of Lunar Fashion Mizuki Live Wallpaper 2 they are both here
    https://market.android.com/details?id=Magi.mizuki2lwp#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiTWFnaS5taXp1a2kybHdwIl0.
    https://market.android.com/details?...=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiTWFnaS5taXp1a2kyZmx3cCJd
    The official main difference between the two is that the free one only has 4 outfit designs while the premium has about 13 so you have a lot more variety in terms of seeing different outfits.
    This wallpaper is the first part of the experimentation with LWC 2.0 where I was playing around with the object size but also for this one I was playing around with the chance of an item showing up. I got some good results and played around with the picture size and this is the end result that showed up after playing around with the creator.

With 2.5 being more than a month away I guess I’ll continue to play with 2.0 a bit more until then but I will start with experimenting with the new versions of Reiko Live Wallpaper 2 and 3 and preparing at least one more wallpaper before the update.

I did find a trick to lower the file size and I’ll see if it help to lower some of the bulky graphics and animation files from 2.0 and 2.5 but I’ll update the files later once I get some good yields. I also did notice when the wallpaper file size gets around 2MB it starts to have force close issues (I guess it’s because the emulator is slow) but it runs fine when installed. I really think it’s an emulator issue considering the emulator runs about 15 to 25 the actual frame rate.

Last is that I will have 3 wallpapers ready for the 2.5 update and all three will be released within a week of the 2.5 update. The first wallpaper will be from the file size testing from the features thread which is already fully animated and the other two will be based off of Magic Arts to promote the game’s release.
    Vas likes this.
  10. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    I noticed few force close issues when using large items (over 500kb), especially on slower phones like my x10 :). These wpp's work well on much faster phones like Galaxy S, despite large file size
  11. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I was talking about the total file size because I’ve put a 300k image as an item and ran without a problem but the Lunar Fashion Wallpaper 2 items were around 65~80k per item. I do believe it could be an emulator issue unless others having the issue on their phone but I'll keep that in mind.
  12. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I’ve updated Reiko Wallpaper 2 and 3 and I did a few minor changes to the wallpapers. The first major change is that the Reiko Wallpaper 2 has a new spot light which goes by the screen illuminating the screen when it crosses the character. I’m happy I got a full screen item running with small items without any problem so I’m quite happy about that. I was originally going to make a new version of the third one but I decided to make a whole new one as a series thus I decided to make the third one free.

I’m going to make an alt version based off the original concept and what I’ve learned from the Lunar Fashion 2 wallpaper and the update version of Reiko Wallpaper 2. I’ll post it when it’s ready.
  13. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    Well I managed to get the new variant of the Reiko Tenshin Live Wallpaper 3 running and it took me a while and a little tweaking to get it at a small file size. The demo is about 2.5MB and the full version is 4.4MB which is about twice the size as the last one I made. But one the accomplishment was to manage to get high resolution pictures as items and see how they would react and run. The pictures than were around screen high mostly stayed in the center which I kind of used in the update of the second Reiko wallpaper with the spotlight. The other thing I did was what I used in the second Mizuki wallpaper was to increase or decrease the chances of an item appearing by playing with the item count.

The end result is that I managed to get 20 images with several of them with 900x900 running and a few of those were about 500x1400 to support both up/down and left/right scrolling. The best thing is that I got all the pictures between 35KB~70KB with most being in the 40 to 50’s. I mostly got these results by dropping the quality of the PNG mostly due to PNG’s using a similar compression to GIF files which means less color=smaller file size. So I did several optimization tests to reduce the file sizes which I did about 3 times to get the maximum results where most of them were starting about 200~300k and with tweaking I got them down to 35~70K depending on color and transparency. I still have some tweaking in terms of the spawn rate because I have to balance it because if it’s too low then too many pictures will overlap but if I put too many then I won’t get any of the pictures but mostly effect graphics.

While doing this I did managed to find a nice effect and make it as a standalone wallpaper which I’m about to upload which I call it the colors wallpaper due to the mixture of the primary colors. It’s simple but it gives a decent effect. I’ll add it to the first post when it’s on the market.
  14. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    The new wallpaper is ready and will be uploaded shortly but the new wallpaper called Lunar Fashion G Series will be released tonight starting with the first one based off of Reiko.

It’s based off the third Reiko Tenshin Live Wallpaper but I’ve added several new things to the wallpaper from the previous releases. One of the Major things is that I was able to add higher resolution images to the wallpaper. But I managed to get it running minus a few quality losses on the images. The main changes since the last post is that I did a few edits on the images due to I didn’t like the image cut off issue that I originally did thus I broke the images down to multiple sizes from the small images that were 800 pixels tall to the high resolution images where they are 2500 high. Although I did have a minor issue with the slow emulator wouldn’t run once I exceeded about 4.5Mb (Emulator issue only due to the fact it runs about 1/3~1/4 the actual speed.) so right now I’ll have a hard limit unless I can get a work around with the emulator problems or I try to rely more on my friends testing it but the lead time might be a lot longer.

This wallpaper will have a free and a premium version where the premium will have a few extra pictures. I’ll make a few more of these to prep for the upcoming summer season and will make different themes varying from casual poses to combat/fighting poses in the future if there is a demand.

I’ll update all of them with the new features from the 2.5 version when I get the new SDK.

A last note is that I originally planned to make a winter them where they would be enjoying the winter season and/or the rival fighting in a snowball fight but the winter season is half over and some of the stuff would need at least the 2.5 stuff to work I decided not to do it.

I’ll post the screen shot when it’s uploaded on the market.
  15. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Wow, cool design. I really like your implementation of big images scrolling from side to side. Fantastic work! I hope you keep experimenting :)
  16. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I should have the next one on Sunday I’m going to try to add a few more within the same file size. I’m playing with some minor optimization to lower the file size a bit but I ‘m more interested in playing around with the new stuff in the 2.5 and interface and seeing what I can do with it. I will have a few ready for the update and a few new ones in planning.
  17. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I’m about to upload the second volume soon but while updating the file size I did run into a few problems. The first thing I did from the last one is to reduce the file size a bit thus a 10 to 20% drop. In theory it should had allowed me to add more files but strangely the emulator is kind of picky in terms of adding images so I had to remove the smaller files to get the wallpaper to not get the double force close of rejection. The end result I got it to run but I would like to find out why the emulator gives up on the wallpaper and unfortunately I can’t find out directly right now but I don’t think it’s related to the file size as I originally thought.

I’ll do the usual but posting the screen shot once it’s uploaded and I’ll work on the 3rd and last one soon but I hope to continue to improve on it until then.
  18. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I’m going to do a small optimization to the first LF vol1 wallpaper tonight but I’m going to find out why the emulator crashes mostly due to I managed to reduce the file size by 20% but even with adding a new set which it reached 3.8MB crashed while a 4.2 MB with ran without any problems. I’m going to do some testing to see if it’s just the emulator being slow again, My computer, The program or I somehow found a cap in the hardware that causes the emulator to force close the wallpaper when you try to set it.
    I’ll most likely do some test if anyone with a decent phone would like to help me test and find the problem. Just post here and I’ll send you a stress test build from the creator but I won’t be able to send it until after the 15th due to the fact that I’m trying to finish a battle system concept.
  19. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    Send me your stuff dude, i'll be glad to check it out
  20. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I sent 4 wallpapers to see if it runs or the phone gives up and force close. I sent it to the LWC gmail account.